Our History

Ted & Marion Vincent

Mylan funeral 1910,

Mount St, Burnie

Funeral Home,

Alexander St, Burnie

Burnie's oldest operating business Vincent Funeral Services was founded in 1868 by John Mylan, the town's most prominent business man of the time.

John and then his son Hugh Mylan operated the funeral business from the corner of Ladbrooke St and Marine Terrace.

Hugh was a bachelor, and with no children to carry on from him, he retired and sold the business to Ted and Marion Vincent in 1929.

In 1939, they lived at this Alexander Street house.

The joinery shop was out the back and viewings were held in the living room.


Ted died suddenly in 1948. Marion ran the business and was joined by her sons Ken in 1948 aged 19 years, and John in 1954 aged 16 years.

In 1969, the business was moved to Parklands.

In 1987, Tasmania's first privately owned crematorium was built at Ulverstone.

In 2004, Marion Mary Vincent, the Matriarch of the family passed away at 100 years of age.

Ted Vincent's Funeral


John, Marion & Ken Vincent


Alison Parry (nee Vincent)

After many successful years of the business run by Ken and John, and subsequently by John alone, the business passed to the third generation of Vincent's; John's eldest daughter Allison and her husband Stephen, and currently to son Peter and wife Tara.


Peter has grown up working in the family business, assisting on funerals as a teenager. Peter, a third generation funeral director, is proud of his family's history and is maintaining their high family standards.

Tara joined Peter in the family business in January 2017 - a family tradition continues.